Building a residential housing unit

Building a residential housing unit

Building a new home...

...Work must be planned in advance!

When building a new home, you must first contact the municipality to obtain a building permit issued by the Urban Planning Department.

Learn about the applicable regulations

The provisions applicable to new constructions are found in the following by-laws that make up the Town's Planning By-Laws:

  • Zoning By-law No. 90-58;
  • Subdivision By-law No. 90-59;
  • Building By-law No. 90-60;
  • Permit and certificate By-law No. 90-61
  • By-law URB-2 on Site Planning and Architectural Integration
The By-law, in a nutshell

The following text is a brief summary of the key regulatory requirements for building a new residential housing unit in Kirkland. The details below are for information purposes only and are not to be construed as legally binding.

The Urban Planning Department that is responsible for ensuring compliance with the planning by-law can help you better understand its requirements.

Zoning, subdivision, construction

Planning by-laws apply to all construction projects in the Town's territory, whether for zoning, subdivision, construction or SPAIP. There are many provisions that are applicable and ignoring them at the beginning of a new project could prove quite costly. The Urban Planning Department can help you in this matter. Do not hesitate to call on their expertise.

Site Planning and Architectural Integration Program

By-law URB-2 on Site Planning and Architectural Integration in residential, commercial and industrial zones helps provide better consistency throughout the various residential, commercial and industrial areas, by ensuring that all new constructions or major modifications to existing buildings blend well with the neighbourhood.

Issuance of a home building permit is subject to By-law No. URB-2 on SPAIP, when the combined floor area of the extension with the existing building exceeds 25% of the average floor area of neighbouring residential buildings.

The Urban Planning Department can assist you with this issue and help you understand the different steps in the SPAIP approval procedure.

Applying for a permit

A building permit application form is available at the Urban Planning Desk at Town Hall or can be downloaded by clicking here.

In the case of a building permit for a new residential dwelling, the request must be accompanied by the following documents:

  • A site plan and certificate of location prepared by a land surveyor in Quebec;
  • Two copies of the detailed construction plans signed and sealed by an architectural technologist, an architect or an engineer, depending on the project;
  • Samples showing the exact colour and texture of the exterior materials that will be used;
  • Any other document ie. texts, maps, plans, architectural sketches, scale models, visual simulations, drawings or audio-visual material, which the applicant may deem appropriate in support for the request.
Processing Period

A permit for a new construction typically takes 4 to 6 weeks to process. However, where it is required that the request be submitted to the Planning Advisory Committee for recommendation, the process will generally take 8 weeks as the Municipal Council must rule on the Committee's recommendation and the building permit may only be issued once the Council resolution authorizes its delivery.

Applicable Fees

Building permit fees for an extension are payable at the time of application and are based on the estimated construction cost, as per the following rate:

  • $8.00 per $1,000
If issuing the permit requires the approval of a Site Planning and Architectural Integration Program (SPAIP), additional fees of $250 will be added to the cost of the permit for reviewing and processing the application. These fees are also payable at the time of application.
Demolition of an existing building

When the construction planned requires the demolition of an existing building, a demolition authorization must first be obtained in the form of a certificate issued in accordance with By-law No. 2007-54 on the demolition of buildings. This by-law is applicable to the demolition of all residential, commercial and industrial buildings throughout the Kirkland territory.

Requesting a demolition

The demolition authorization request must be forwarded to the Urban Planning Department along with the documents required in Article 7 of this by-law as well as payment of the fees provided in Article 32.

Processing Period

A demolition certificate of authorization typically takes 8 to 10 weeks to process, as it must first be authorized by the Demolition Committee following publication of the required notices. Upon reception of the Committee's authorization, the Urban Planning Department will then issue the demolition certificate of authorization and forward it to the applicant.


The Urban Planning Department can be reached during regular business hours in person at the Town Hall's Urban Planning desk or by calling 514 694-4100 x3137. An information request can also be sent online through the Requests on Line system which can be accessed at any time through the Town's website.