Installing a fence

Installation work must be carefully planned out!

Before installing a fence on your property or replacing an existing one, you must get a certificate of authorization from the Urban Planning Department, at a cost of $50. The request must be accompanied by a copy of the property's certificate of location, clearly indicating the planned location for the fence, as well as its height and material.

For a safe installation - knowing where to dig

The ground where you plan to dig can hide electrical cables, telecommunication networks, gas lines and other underground utilities. To ensure your family‘s safety and the safety of others, it is crucial to know whether there are any buried installations near the site where you are planning to excavate.

Whether you are doing the work yourself or hiring a contractor to do it, it is very important to locate all underground facilities on your property BEFORE you start digging. Info-Excavation offers free subterranean infrastructure location services and can also give you advice. Queries can be made online at info-ex.com or by calling 1-800-663-9228.

Learn about the applicable regulations

To make the right choice as to the type of fence to buy and where to install it, it is important to be aware of the applicable regulations. In Kirkland, Article 5.5 of Zoning By-Law no. 90-58 sets out these rules, especially the material that may be used for fences such as stone, wood, metal, PVC and aluminum. Article 10.9 of this By-law sets out the maximum allowable height to 1.85 metres (6.1 ft) as well as some restrictions that may apply to corner lots.



The Urban Planning Department is responsible for ensuring compliance with the planning By-law and can help you better understand its requirements. The Department can be reached during regular business hours in person at the Town Hall's Urban Planning desk or by calling 514 694-4100 x 3137. An information request can also be sent online through the Requests on Line system which can be accessed at any time through the Town's website.