Tree felling

Arbre 2.jpgCutting down a tree on your property... There should be a valid and justifiable reason!

For the sake of tree conservation, it is prohibited to cut a healthy tree anywhere on the Kirkland territory without a valid reason. An authorization must be obtained from the Public Works Department by applying for a tree cutting certificate.

Justifying the request

A certificate of authorization is required to cut down any tree having a diameter of 10 cm (4") or more measured at 15 cm (6") from the ground level. No particular authorization is required for felling trees of smaller diameters.  It is prohibited to cut down a tree throughout the Town's territory, except in the following cases:

  • sick or dead tree;
  • damage to property;
  • Danger of falling branches or other potential danger:
  • Land clearing for a new construction or extension to existing structure.
We would also ask the applicant to place a string around the trunk of the tree that is the subject of the application so that we may identify it with certainty when on-site.

Requesting a certificate of authorization

imagesCAV3KCEC.jpgAn application form for a tree cutting certificate of authorization can be obtained at Public  Works (25 Claude-Jodoin St.) or by clicking here to print out a copy.

It is important to fill in every section on the form to avoid delays in the processing of your application.  Once completed and signed, the application form must be submitted to the Public Works department in one of the following ways:
  • In person:    Municipal garage, 25 Claude-Jodoin Street, Kirkland
  • By email:
  • By mail:      17200 Hymus Boulevard, Kirkland (Quebec)  H9J 3Y8

The application form will be processed within twenty (20) working days of receipt and, where applicable, the certificate of authorization will be issued and remitted to the applicant by email.

Replacement of felled trees

Any tree that was cut down in the front yard or on the side of a private property must be replaced with another tree of an approved species having a minimum height of 1.5 metre, within 90 days of felling.  It must be noted that poplars, willow trees, catalpas and silver maples can only be planted in parks. The Town offers replacement trees for a minimal fee, depending on availability.



The Public Works Department is responsible for ensuring compliance with regulations and can help you better understand their requirements.

The Department can be reached during regular business hours in person at the Municipal garage (25 Claude-Jodoin St.) or by calling 514 630-2727. An information request can also be sent online through the Requests On Line system which can be accessed at any time through the Town's website.

For questions about tree care and preservation, please contact the Green Line at 514 630-2748.