Wood heating - Ville de Kirkland

Wood heating

Wood heating

While contemplating a crackling fire may be quite enjoyable, burning wood in a conventional fireplace for this sole purpose, is both polluting and harmful to human health. Wood heating is in fact a major source of air pollutants like carbon monoxide (CO), volatile organic compounds (VOC), fine particles (PM2.5), nitrogen oxides (NOx) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH).*

Let’s think about the neighbourhood having to breathe in this smoke and let’s minimize the time we use our wood-burning fireplaces!

New regulation

A new by-law regarding solid fuel burning appliances and fireplaces (By-Law No. GEN-2021-53) is in force in Kirkland since May 3, 2021. This new regulation aims to control the emission into the atmosphere of particles produced by wood-burning appliances, and to improve air quality.

In Kirkland, wood heating is allowed… but under certain conditions!

  • EPA or CAN/CSA B415.1 certified wood-burning appliances can be used at any time. However, we recommend limiting their use to a minimum in order to optimize the air quality in the neighborhood.
  • For any new installation or replacement of a solid fuel burning appliance or fireplace, the appliance must be EPA or CAN/CSA B415.1 certified and its emission rate must be equal to or less than 2.5 g/hr of fine particles emitted into the atmosphere. The permit required for the conversion of a non-certified appliance will be issued by the Town at no cost.

  • Wood-burning appliances that are not EPA or CAN/CSA B415.1 certified may not be used more than once every 48 hours for a maximum period of 6 hours. (This restriction does not apply in the case of an appliance or fireplace used for commercial purposes.)

Ban during smog warnings

When a smog warning issued by Environment Canada is in effect for a region that includes the Town of Kirkland, it is forbidden to use any wood-burning appliances, even if certified.

Power outages

When a power failure lasts for more than 3 hours, the above-mentioned prohibitions do not apply and the use of wood-burning appliances that are not certified is allowed without any restrictions.

How can you tell if your wood-burning appliance is EPA or CAN/CSA B415.1 certified?

Simply look for a certification label on your appliance. This label will give you all the necessary information (emissions, year of certification, standard-setter, etc.)

You may also refer to the user’s manual in which certifications will be specified. If you lost your user’s manual, know that they are often available online on the manufacturer’s website. You can also chose to contact them directly to ask your questions.

The third option is to go on the EPA’s or CAN/CSA B415.1’s website and see if your appliance is listed in their database. To do so, have in hand the name of the manufacturer and the model number of your appliance.

Outdoor fires

It must be noted that in Kirkland, outdoor fireplaces fueled by solid fuels (e.g., wood) as well as bonfires and open fires are prohibited at all times.

*Source : Environment Canada